God's Geek

Reflections and random thoughts of a geeky youth worker in North London...

Friday, February 24, 2006

A Good Week at Cliff College

I had a great time at Cliff College last week. The module that was being taught was 'Issues Facing Adolescents', covering subjects such as mental health, future opportunities, drugs and alocohol. It was interesting stuff but it was also great to spend some time away with other youth workers. I was one of the last to bed every night and had great fun discussing and sharing experiences, a number of which invovled me embarassing myself in various forms. I have also been diagnosed as having LAMS - Look At Me Syndrome - which involves me having to make my presence felt every time I enter a room. I hope , on balance, it is more endearing than annoying...

I am looking forward to getting my teeth in to the next assignment; I am preparing a training session for youth leaders looking at post 18 options for young people. I think it is a really important that often gets neglected in youth work. I don't think anyone other than my husband really sat me down to explain what to expect when I began work, or to get me to think about the pressures of work, including faith issues. This is definitely something that youthwork - and work with students - should incorporate, not only helping them through the options available and helping them to reach their potential but encouraging young people to make God centred, ethical decisions about who they are prepared to work for and how they want to conduct themsleves in their working lives. It is a good opportunity to theologically reflect ont hese issues and think about practical ways to support the young people that I am in touch with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Cheers Martin. Yeah, good to hear you are doing well too. Loved this month's editorial in Youthwork...

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home